Leather industry is a huge and fast emerging industry that touches the need of the entire population. Besides footwear, Leatherwear constitutes a variety of products ranging from accessories like belts, luggage & bags, Jackets, gloves, purses and caps to toys, upholstery, baggage, musical instruments, garment tags, gift items etc. Leather Industry is a highly Labour-oriented industry which provides employment to many people. India exports leather good and footwear to western countries as well as provides lots of leather for domestic market. Leather Designing is a specialised technological field.
Major activities involved in leather designing are leather cutting, upper Making, Sole/bottom piece making, padding, stitching, shoe-lasting, pasting, ironing, colouring and polishing to give finishing touch. Leather industry has two main areas of work:
- The processing of raw leather to finished leather and make it ready for the manufacturing industries.
- The design, production and marketing of finished leather goods.
Diploma course in Footwear / Leather Technology
Certificate course in Footwear Technology / Shoe designing
P.G. Diploma in Footwear Technology
B. Tech. Leather Technology
M. Tech. Footwear Science & Engg.
Footwear Design & Development Institute (M/o Commerce, Govt. of India), A-10/A, Sector-24, NOIDA -201301.
Central Footwear Training Institutes (Ministry of SSI):
- Central Footwear Training Institute, 65/1, GST Road, Guindy, Chennai -600 032.(www.cftichennai.net)
- Central Leather Research Institute, Adayar, Chennai 600020. (www.clri.org)
- Anna University, Guindy, Chennai-600 025.
- NIFT, Hauzkhas, New Delhi – 110 016.
- University of Calcutta, Kolkatta (B.Sc. in Leather Technology)